Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Review: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Yay! My first review. Mostly doing this for the contest at:
http://jenlyn-b.livejournal.com/172850.html

Anyways, I finished reading The Truth About Forever a few days ago, but never got around to actually making a review of it cause I've been "busy" (ahem, laziness).

So The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen is a GREAT book, in my opinion. It starts with Jason, Macy's boyfriend, leaving for Brain Camp. As Macy leads a dull life during this summer, she studies for the SAT's, works at the library in place of Jason, and follows all of her mother's orders. But one day, in an email to Jason, she simply says "I love you." This makes Jason want a "break" in their relationship until he comes back. However, she later starts to work at Wish Catering, a chaotic food service full of surprises. There she meets people who will change her life, including a boy named Wes. But who would have thought that changing would be so hard, even when it makes you happy? Macy has to learn that sometimes it isn't always best to be safe than sorry.

I really enjoyed this book, most likely because it can be so realistic. Macy has to deal with her father dying, while under the strict control of her overprotective mother. Personally, I know what it's like when parents don't bother listening to your side of the story, and they punish/lecture based on mere assupmptions. I think this book helps you realize that sometimes change is good, and that all it takes sometimes is someone to give you a little push in the right direction. Also, no matter how intelligent, beautiful, etc. you are, if you aren't happy it isn't worth it. Macy had to learn the hard way that risks are better than being on the safe side all the time, which I think can relate to a lot of readers of the book. Plus, it's really important to show your emotions, because then those around you will never know how you really feel, like how Macy's mother never noticed that Macy was really miserable with her father dying. I also really liked it because it's such a sweet story, and who doesn't like a meaningful romance novel?

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. ooh, I LOVED this one. it was my first sarah dessen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I entered that contest too!

    Who doesn't love Sarah Dessen books?

    ReplyDelete